Friday, December 5, 2014

Halloween 2014

My dearest friends of the Internet variety,

I had the great pleasure of meeting quite a few of you at Costume College this past August.  Many, many thank yous to everyone who volunteered!

I'm going to start this post with a bit of advice for all college-bound costumers. TAKE STUFF WITH YOU!!!

You will get to your dorm. You may or may not have any space to store costumes or sewing supplies. It doesn't matter. You will make room. You will have a costume to wear for your first collegiate Halloween. Alternatively, should you have brought fabric and notions, you will make a costume to wear for your first collegiate Halloween.

If you, however, do not take my advice, you may find yourself asking/begging your unsurprised mother to please ship your costumes to you.  Expect the following note on the shipping label:


From: An incredibly lovely and indulgent,
not to mention busy, mother
Thanks, mom!

My inspiration for this outfit came from this print from 1909, which I found in my research for Gibson Girl era golfing way back in February in preparation for a CGW event.  I didn't finish the outfit in time and went to the event in my (not historically accurate) Edwardian costume from Halloween 2013, but I finished the skirt in time for prom (May) and got the vest to a wearable point in time for SDCC (July).  The blouse I used in the Halloween 2014 iteration of this costume is a lucky coincidence from my muggle closet.

Fore
Harrison Fisher, 1909

Hark, What Light Through Yonder Window Br--Oops, I'm Outside
Adi (Costume, Model) and Fury (Photographer), 2014

Please excuse the inaccurate silhouette.  I am wearing my Victorian corset.  I haven't made an Edwardian one yet.








Fun fact: college campuses make great settings for photoshoots.  College bookstores, not so much.


I should like to add that the vest was not actually finished when I had my mother send it to me.  I added the buttonholes (by hand!!!) and the buttons on October 30th.  Yup.  I have a great work ethic.


(I did wear this outfit, minus the blouse and the buttons, at Costume College for the Fantasy Tea and at SDCC, so this is not a very recent project... oops.  Disclaimer: the blouse is from my new favorite store.  I made the skirt and vest.  And the underpinnings.  'Cause I have priorities.)

2 comments:

  1. I love the button placement on that vest. You look fabulous!
    And your hair is green now? That's awesome!

    (This is the person formerly known as mouseborg, I changed my internet name.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. My dear Lorenzo,

    Thank you! I had a lot of fun wearing this!

    ReplyDelete