Sunday, May 11, 2014

Blog Award!

I'd like to give a heartfelt thank you to the Mouse Borg Queen of Mouse Borg Designs for nominating me for the Liebster Blog ♥ Award.  I'm flattered and honored that you think so highly of me!

In the spirit of the reason Mouse Borg nominated me, my nominees for the award are also teens, Bascha and Theresa over at Two Teen Seamstresses, and Privatepen of Ruffles not Rifles.  I'm pretty darned impressed with them for balancing making impressive costumes (and handsewing!) while balancing high school work loads (and college apps, 'cause that stuff is eeeevil).

Nominees, upon receiving this award you must:
1. Thank the person who gave you the award.
2. Nominate other blogs, preferably ones with less than 200 followers.
3. Answer the questions asked by the one(s) who gave you the award.
4. Make a list of questions for the other nominees to answer.

Mouse Borg's questions for me:

What first got you interested in costuming?

Steampunk!  I went to a Steampunk 101 panel at Comic Con 2012, which taught me a bit about the components that go into a generic Steampunk costume, then wanted to make my own Steampunk costume for Comikaze a few months later, in September of junior year.  I looked at tons of blogs for inspiration and ideas and they taught me a lot about costuming and the historic elements of Steampunk costume.  And then suddenly I found myself obsessed with historic costume.  I'm not exactly sure how it happened.

How old were you when you began sewing? How long ago was that?

I think it was the summer between fourth and fifth grade - my sister and I took a weeklong sewing course over the summer.  I got a machine for the course, but then didn't touch it much until eleventh grade for anything other than small projects.  Seriously, I think the coolest thing I did in those six-ish years was make knitting/sewing bags for my mom, my grandma, and myself.  Maybe I made a poncho for my doll.  Then I got into costuming, took a corset making class, and now my sewing machine has its own spot in my sewing corner (*cough* half of the living room *cough*).

Do you have any bad sewing habits? If so, what are they?

I don't iron enough.  Also, I hold pins in my mouth, which I've recently learned is a very, very bad habit to get into because of the dangers of swallowing pins accidentally.

Name one piece of sewing related equipment that you wish you owned.

A better iron and a bigger ironing board.  That was two pieces of equipment, but whatever.

What is your favourite thing about costuming?

Oh, definitely wearing the costume and bragging about how, "Why yes, I did make this myself."  In terms of the actual sewing part, though, I enjoy making bodices.  They're the funnest thing to watch come together.  Also, I love doing research.  I spend more time researching the fashions of different historical periods than I spend doing my homework.

Which part of costuming do you most dread?

God, mockups.  I hate making mockups.  I like fitting them just fine on other people, but I dislike fitting them on myself, and for somme reason, I dislike making them.  Even bodice mockups.

Do you sew many everyday garments, or do you only do costumes?

At the moment only costumes, but my Muggle wardrobe is sadly lacking so I'd really like to make myself from nice outfits.  Wearing a uniform everyday to school really does a number on your sense of what it acceptable to wear outside of the house.

How has costuming affected your life?

I can't watch period dramas anymore, unless the costumes in them are done really darn well.  Otherwise, I just end up yelling at the characters and informing my fellow movie-goers how inaccurate the costumes are.  (My family and friends find this to be very annoying.)

If you had unlimited time and money, what would you sew?

Gah, everything.  More underwear.  Waaay more petticoats.  You can never have too many petticoats.

My questions for Bascha, Theresa, and Privatepen are:

  1. What period was your first love or your introduction to historical costuming?  Wanna share a picture of your first costume?
  2. What period do you find most difficult?  Why?
  3. How have you balanced school work and costuming and a social life?
  4. Looking back at all the costumes you've made, which are you the most proud of?
  5. Where do you see yourself five years in the future, in regards to costuming?
  6. How does your family feel about your hobby?
  7. What is one piece of advice you can give to someone new to the hobby that you wish you'd gotten when you were just starting out?  (Or, alternatively, what is one piece of advice you got as a newbie that you'd like to pass on?)
  8. What is your dream fabric to work with?
  9. If you are comfortable with doing so, give us one random fact about yourself that you've never mentioned on your blog!
That's it!  Mouse Borg, thank you very much for the nomination.  Privatepen, Bascha, and Theresa, I wish you all the best!

1 comment:

  1. Sweet! (I totally understand about the movies!!!!!!)Do I answer the Q's here?
    ~Theresa

    ReplyDelete