Monday, January 6, 2014

2013 Year-in-Review

I took month off from bloggering (yes, bloggering) to focus on finishing the semester and then voyaging to Portugal, but I'm back and very happy to be able to recount the last year of my costuming exploits.  I'm impressed with what I've made in 2013.  Seriously.  I am darned impressed with myself.

This year-in-review covers only what I made in 2013.  It is a celebration of material objects rather than a recollection of all the costume events I went to last year.

I started off the year in January with a 1950s petticoat and circle skirt (the petticoat is pictured here under my yellow circle skirt, haha) just in time for the Steampunk Symposium aboard the Queen Mary.


Then, by March, I finished three outfits for the MSCF Fashion Show, a corset, and a Blingy Necklace.  It's a good thing I'm doing this year-in-review now because I've never posted any photos of the completed necklace.






Sometime by the end of the school year (May), I finished a pair of sterling silver hatpins using the cuttlefish casting technique, which I've used before to make this pendant.  The hatpins and I spent a summer apart and then it was a while until I had an excuse to use the photo studio, hence the no-pictures-until-now.


Sometime in June I made a pair of historically accurate drawers and an 1870s/1880s bustle (with not-so-historically accurate materials).  My sister kindly modeled the bustle for me, but failed to resist the urge to chicken dance.  Sigh.



July brought with it fun with a long bustle skirt, power tools, and a military ego, all rolled in to one obnoxiously fun-to-wear gender-bent Victorian Darth Vader.






In October, I decided I was in serious need of an Edwardian costume.


In my Special Studies class at school, I also made an 1860s chemise, another pair of drawers, and an Elizabethan smock.  I only managed to take pictures of the Elizabethan corset mockup.


Next up with be a brief rundown of the projects I have planned for 2014!

No comments:

Post a Comment