Thursday, November 28, 2013

Throwback Thursday

I read all of the Little House books in elementary school and positively adored them.  I remember being really excited and happy when the library told me I could take more than one (!) book out at a time, and I promptly grabbed almost every single book in the series (and then, ya know, read them in like, a day, and had nothing to do for the next two weeks).

Since I loved the books so much, I really wanted to dress up like a pioneer for Purim.  The following outfit is, apparently, what the little 3rd/4th grade me thought a pioneer on the American frontier looked like in the 1840s-1860s.  Please note my halter-top-dress-turned-shirt-I-don't-even-know with cherries on it, my apron (borrowed from my grandma, maybe?), and my long skirt (definitely borrowed from Grandma).  Also please appreciate my adorable-as-hell braids and my how-do-I-even-have-this historically inaccurate  bonnet (pretty sure it was from my last trip to Colonial Williamsburg, which I was (and still am) enamored with).

Egads, the amount of what-even in this picture astounds me.  Please know that I value historical accuracy a lot more know and would never be caught dead in such an outfit ever. 


Throwback Thursday Sum-Up

Age at Time: I don't know if I was in third or fourth grade, so anywhere from aged 8 to 10.

Costume: Pioneer on the American frontier / Laura Ingalls / 1860s

Event: Purim 

Level of embarrassment (scale of 1-10, 10 being deathly embarrassing): 10.  Yup, this rates a 10.  Please see above note about historical accuracy. 

UPDATE: Forgot to mention that this is going to be the last post in a while.  See you in January!

2 comments:

  1. Aww, you look adorable! It is certainly inaccurate, but weren't all our costumes at that age? Heck, even my costumes from 3 or 4 years ago are ones I wouldn't be caught dead in now. I was Mrs. Lovett for Halloween when I was 15 and now the terribly sloppy alterations I did on that thrift store dress make me cringe.

    You needn't be so embarrassed, it is easy to see that you value historical accuracy now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! I think the learning curve on costume-making is fantastic -- people are so willing to implement new research when making new historical clothing, so really, we're always improving our historical accuracy. But yeah, it can be hard sometimes to see that we weren't always as knowledgeable. :)

    ReplyDelete