Saturday, November 16, 2013

Halloween 2013 Sewing

This post was scheduled to go up over a week ago, but I probably messed up setting the date and time, so here it is now!

I don't have many pictures of the in-process construction of my Halloween costume because I finished it a mere six-ish hours before I had to wear it the next morning.  (Yeah, it was like that.)  "Finished it" is very relative in this sense.  The blouse is fully wearable, complete with closures, but the belt had to be safety-pinned closed.  As I learned from a friend at CoCo over the summer, you do not need closures for something to be "done."

This is what my costume looked like on the 26th, right before I started the mockup.

No pictures of the mockup, unfortunately, since the ever-wonderful sister that normally acts as my photographer was comfortably reading in bed and could not be moved.

Working on the lining to the tune of Doctor Who

I have discovered the secret to watching movies or television while working: the program has to be something I already know by heart, so that I do not spend more time watching than I do sewing.  I also finally got smart and raised the table using volumes of the OED (three under each leg -- it's a running joke with my sister that we use OEDs for everything but looking up words).


I'm really proud of the boning channels in the lining.  They're very neat.  That is all.

Decorating the hat -- $15 fake flowers from JoAnns, hat from the dollar store.

Over this five day long sewing marathon, I watched: HerculesMulan (1 and 2), Lilo & StitchKronk's New GrooveDoctor Horrible's Sing Along Blog (twice), 11 episodes of Doctor Who, many episodes of Teen Titans, and a couple episodes of Downton Abbey (to get me in the Edwardian mood).  I broke two sewing needles and bent almost all of my pins (especially one yellow pin that's not even usable any more -- pics to come once I track it down).  I poked myself with pins several times (but only needed a band-aid twice), and got one bloodstain (my own) on the belt.  My mom poked herself and drew blood twice (don't know about the band-aids for her, though).  I got a blister on my thumb from hand sewing (even though I didn't do that much) and ripped a gazillion seams a gazillion times.

Gah.

I'm very impressed with the pattern.  I used the (fairly) recently released Butterick 5970, which was historically accurate enough for my needs.  I haven't found any evidence of the weird elbow poofs, but then again, my elbow poofs came out a lot larger than what the pattern called for.  (I was running low on time, so I didn't add the upper sleeve piece that would have covered most of the puff.)  I did get the opportunity to chat online with a friend of the pattern maker, who said that the pattern was based off an extant dress in the pattern maker's personal collection.


Got this brooch at CoCo and I love it -- have no idea if the placement is period, though

I'm still impressed with how the ruched collar came out 

Close up of trim above elbow poofs -- the trim is actually covering the raw edge of the lace 

Grr.  The collar stitching broke when I tried to undress alone -- always have someone on hand to help you get a back-closing bodice off.  Always.  Unless you are a contortionist.

Such tiny stitches (on the outside, at least)!  This is at the wrist, and will at some point be covered with lace trim.

Sacrifices must be made to get a fitted sleeve at the wrist.

Why are you taking pictures when you can be petting me?

One fault with the pattern: it's unclear what to do with the raw edges of the fashion fabric of the bodice, so I did my best to cover it with the trim.

I need to move the buttons at the top near the collar to adjust for my poor posture. (And I have yet to fit Louisa to my own measurements.)

A friend of mine saw that I bought a new parasol at CoCo and offered to teach my how to recover it.  We got together to recover our parasols just before the school year started, but I unfortunately had to head home before I could finish, so the pieces have been cut out since August.  I was really glad that I'd gotten extra fabric for the parasol, because I ended up making the belt with the same fabric!

Temporary fix to keep the parasol closed = ribbon

I have a thing for scallops.  The discoloration is due to Fray Block.  I should have tested it on the fabric first, because I found a bit too late that it doesn't scratch off easily like it does with most fabrics.

My hat is also not perfect -- I didn't get the flowers to lay perfectly, like I wanted them to, but I'm very happy with the overall look.  My classmate took a cell phone picture of me in AP Art History when I got up to write on the board.  We were having a fun review day with crossword puzzles.  You can see the back of my hat fairly well.

Thanks, Katie!

No comments:

Post a Comment