Friday, October 25, 2013

Throwback Thursday

I have 27 minutes to write this until it is no longer Thursday.

I had no idea what Throwback Thursday was until recently -- my only previous experience with Throwback Thursdays was during Spirit Week at school each year, when each day had a different theme that everyone dressed up for.  I just thought the student council that organized it had been creative about the name of the day so that it alliterated.  (Other "dress up" days have included fun ones like "Twin Day," where you coordinate outfits with another person or with other people, meaning that you could come to school in free dress and say that your "twin" was absent; "Dress Like a Boy Day," 'cause its an all-girls school and they didn't take into consideration when they planned the event that it would offend people; and "Would You Still Be Me Friend Day," which I can't even explain it's so wrong.)

Eeeek!  Only 18 minutes left!

Anyhoo, I like the idea behind the real Throwback Thursday, but I want to make it unique (and relevant to this blog) by posting old pictures of me in various costumes instead.  There is really no reason for this, other than that most of the costumes are terrible and extremely embarrassing because we all had to start somewhere.  (I'm not saying that I think what I do now is perfect.  I'm not even implying that.  What I do now is an improvement, nothing more.)  I will from now on be posting semi-regularly a picture of yours truly in an embarrassingly terrible costume that I thought was the bomb when I was younger.

At a certain point I will run out of pictures that I have on my computer and will be too lazy to look for other pictures.  When that happens, the series will probably end, except for the occasional "it is actually relevant to my life right now!" moment.

To start off this new series, I have something that is actually relevant to tomorrow--whoops--today.  Good morning.  It is no longer Throwback Thursday, so it's actually relevant to today.

Ahem, today is St. Crispin's Day, which I only know because my sister read Henry V in her Shakespeare class back when I was in 9th grade and memorized King Henry's famous St. Crispin's Day speech (preformed by Kenneth Branagh in the clip below).


She somehow convinced my mother to let us have a St. Crispin's Day feast on October 25th, complete with rented costumes and glass tumblers full of bubbly apple cider (yeah, we're classy).

Myself (note poet shirt, tunic-thing, and belt from H&M)

Guilty sister on the left, knightly Hobbit sister on the right 
None of my future Throwback Thursday posts will have this many pictures (as far as I know) because, for the most part, I only have one or two good pictures of each costume.

We're so pretty!
Throwback Thursday Sum-Up

Age at time: 14

Costume: vaguely-Medieval who-knows-what

Event: St. Crispin's Day Feast at home with family

Level of embarrassment (scale of 1 - 10, 10 is deathly embarrassing): 2

No comments:

Post a Comment