Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Dipping my toes into the 1950s

Last Sunday, I attended a garden party held in honor of my class on the occasion of the start of the school year (more about that in the next post).  The suggestion of attire for the event was to dress for "casual outdoor eating."  I might have overdone it in for the early 21st century, but I hope not the mid 20th.  (I will honestly say that I don't know much about fashions in the 1950s other than what I see in pictures from the time, so this outfit is not what I would call an accurate representation of fashion in the 50s, but rather just "inspired by" such fashion.)

My sister took this picture after the party, once my hair had gotten mussed.

I've already written about the skirt and the petticoat supporting it--they're the 1950s skirt and petticoat that is part of The Semiformal Outfit That Never Was.  The belt is on-loan from a friend for a completely different event (which I will write about sooooon).  The hat is my felt pillbox, worn so the feathers are at the front -- which might not have been the best idea.  I don't quite like how it looks in the pictures.  The cute peep-toe shoes are my mother's.  The jumpsuit (yes, that shirt-like thing is a jumpsuit) is probably by far my favorite part, though.  I found it at a thrift shop a few years ago and use it normally as a warm-weather reading-in-the-sun coverup because it's comfy and it looks like a wrap dress, but it actually has shorts built in.  I wish I had some better pictures of it, but the only one that shows the entire dress is from last spring break.

Here, I'm wearing the jumpsuit as a swimsuit cover-up at Disney's Castaway Key.

To say the least, I stood out among a crowd of an assortment of light sundresses.

Photo courtesy of Mr. B, who is so good at putting up with my inability to take a serious photo.  My friend, of course, looks lovely.

No comments:

Post a Comment