The Lady Mother's Pirate Costume

The Lady Mother is off on a cruise right now.  Right before she left I whipped up a pirate costume for her to wear on the cruise's "pirate night."  It was a combined effort on both of our parts to cut and sew the fabric in time for the cruise.  The Lady Mother did the cutting and some of the pinning and I did most of the sewing.  

The entire costume is straight from Butterick's B3906.  I've only ever done the dress for it before, as an underdress for my steampunk Irene Adler costume.  The entire costume was extremely easy to throw together.  I'm sure that someone working diligently could make the whole thing in just a few hours.

I had intended to tailor the vest to fit better because the vest looked huge once the Lady Mother  upscaled it to fit her, but after a few tries and fails, I gave up so she wore it without any tailoring.  It ended up fitting rather well around the body, but the shoulder straps did not stay up.  However, I looked at some reviews of the pattern and I am comforted by the fact that this is apparently a problem that everyone has with it.

I started with the skirt over Thanksgiving weekend, believing that if I didn't finish anything else, the Lady Mother would at least be able to wear the skirt with black leggings or something like that.

Skirt fabric 
Skirt trim -- that's a very lovely seam right there if I do say so myself.
Moved on to the vest the week after Thanksgiving.  The Lady Mother upscaled and cut out all the pattern pieces, and then hand basted the interlining and the fashion fabric together.  I am totally amazing that she hand basted them.  I suppose it's a generational thing -- I use the machine whenever I can, but I guess she learned to baste by hand.  I gave up trying to tailor the vest so I set it aside until last weekend.

Hand-basted interlining and fashion fabric
Wrong side of the vest, all sewing together

Bleh.  Failed attempt at fixing bagginess on the shoulder straps.
Last weekend, I got up early on Saturday morning (early for a teenager on the weekend, at least!) to finish the vest and make the dress. I was inspired to finish the seams somehow.  And then I had to take pictures!  I think I was having a bit too much fun with the macro focus on my camera. :)

It looks kinda flat-felled...  
But it's mock flat-felled (I think that's what this technique is called.  I went through a sewing techniques book that was in the school library during my free period, but I can't remember off the top of my head)!
 While I was having fun finishing the seams and playing around with whether I wanted to add plastic boning or not in the casings the seams formed (would have been nice--but no time), the Lady Mother worked on cutting out fabric for the dress (ha! Teamwork!).

The Lady Mother went to Joann and came back with this adorable pin cushion, which I promptly stole from her so I could add a peacock crown with pins.  I gave it back...  reluctantly....

The last thing to do was the dress.  I'd made it before for myself, so I was able to breeze through making it.  The one change was that I moved the casing for the elastic up about 1-1/2 to 2 inches up from where the pattern instructions said to put it.  This gave the sleeve a bit more of a wenchy look.  Compare:

The morning of, just a few hours before she was due to leave for the cruise, the Lady Mother kindly dressed up in the entire ensemble, sans jewelry, so I could take pictures.  She also has orders to take pictures of everything on the cruise, so hopefully I will get some photos of it in action.

They're not Kensingtons, but these dress shoes work well enough.
Perhaps a few more pictures to come when the Lady Mother gets back.


Popular posts from this blog

Wooded Hamlet Cage Crinoline Kit

Immense Hoop Skirt of Immense Proportions

Inspiration for the bling-y-est necklace that has ever been blinged