Friday, December 7, 2012

Costume ideas -- 1920s dress

This is number two of a series of posts about various costume ideas I've thought about.  There is no rhyme or reason to the order I am posting these.  I don't have any sketches yet, but I've been collecting "inspiration" images from the internet.  None of these images belong to me.   I will try to give credit where credit is due.


JAZZ AGE INSPIRED 1920s DRESS

Every other year, a student-led charitable fund at my school puts on a fashion show as a fundraiser to raise money to donate to organizations in Los Angeles that help underprivileged girls.  The fashion includes designs by students that are modeled by students.  


I am looking forward to participating in this event as a designer.  I have enlisted a few of my friends to be my models.  I haven't gotten any information yet about limits to the number of deigns we can make or what our budget is, so I went ahead and started brainstorming dresses according to this year's theme "Fashion through Music."  The five categories we can choose from are: hip hop/pop, indie/folk, old jazz, disco, and punk rock.


This is the general idea for an "old jazz" inspired 1920s dress: slightly loose dress, with a pleated skirt starting at the hips.  I'm looking towards the singers of the Harlem Renaissance and Jazz Age for some inspiration.



Source: Goldstein Museum of Design



The green dress directly above is very close to what I have in mind, color wise.  My friend, who will be modeling for me, and I both love Disney's Princess and the Frog, so I don't think there was ever any question what color the dress would be.  Also, to justify it for design reasons, green looks great on my friend.

As for headgear, I like this cloche hat quite a bit though I think making something like it would be a bit too much for me.

In the affordable and easy DIY range, I could make a headband similar to the one below.  If I have the time and budget, I might even be able to go the whole beads, dangly bits, crazy-extravagant headdress route.

But back to the dress...  I want the general shape of of the dresses below, especially the ones with the scooped necks, but with a pleated skirt and a sash across the hips where the skirt starts.  I'm envisioning one with a huge flower on the side right over the hipbone.

As for the pleated skirt, I like the shape and length of the one below -- but my personal opinion is that the outfit or the pattern that is being advertised is terrible.  Ignore the shirt, focus on the skirt!



1 comment:

  1. My name is Tanya I love the salmon pink dress in the middle of the three short 1920s style dresses. Is there any way i can buy it or even where i can find it? Thank you

    ReplyDelete