Allow me to begin this post by saying that if I had a great deal of patience and a longer attention span, I would be done with this entire skirt by now.
The first thing I did after I cut out all the pieces was to take a break, which ended up lasting several hours. But, once I got myself back to Brunhilda, I made some moderate progress. I started by sewing together all the strips in each tier. Then I added a casing for elastic to go through on each of the top tiers. I made the casing by hemming along one edge with a really wide hem and leaving some space free to add the elastic in when I'm done. I also went ahead and hemmed one of the middle tiers, which will become the bottom tier of the shorter petticoat.
Tomorrow I will work on gathering each piece and sewing it all together. I foresee myself doing a lot of mind-boringly repetitive sewing.
Let's think about this: I have to gather 10 yards of fabric for the bottom tier and five for the middle tier, but I have to do that twice, so it adds up to a total of 20 yards to be gathered. Gathering means that I will have to make two rows of gathering stitches, so 40 yards of sewing. Then sewing the tiers together is another
20 10 yards, so 60 50 yards total. And I will probably secure them with a zigzag stitch and a mock flat fell seam, so that adds another 40 20 yards to bring our total to 100 70 yards of sewing to do tomorrow.
|Ten yards of fabric to become the bottom tier.|
|I'm getting better at French seams. Ignore the random dot -- it's on a piece of paper behind the fabric.|
|Everything in neat little piles, ready to be sewn tomorrow. The bottom tier was too much yardage to even attempt to fold.|