Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Necklace

I call this pendant "Woodland Tiger" for some reason.... maybe because it is shaped like a leaf and has a cat's eye stone?  Woodlands and tigers?  I don't know what I was thinking.

Nevertheless, this was the first piece I ever made that required soldering and it felt like it took me forever to make.

It is two pieces of sterling silver sweat soldered together, one sheet with bits cut out and the other (the "backplate," as I learned it is called) with an extra-long stem that I folded over backwards to put the chord through.  I oxidized the silver that peaks through from the backplate to emphasize it, but it doesn't come out well in the photo.

This piece won an honorable mention in the 2012 Scholastic Art and Writing Awards competition.

No comments:

Post a Comment