Posts

Showing posts from November, 2012
Image
Cast silver, beads.

This was my first attempt at cuttlefish casting, which is really easy and I highly recommend.  It's relatively quick and it gives the piece a unique texture (that I tired to capitalize on).  The one downside is the smell.  Burnt fishbone smells gawd-awful.

I emphasized the texture by placing the pendant in a sulfur solution to darken it, then using a piece of steel wool to polish the raised bits.

I also made a clasp for this necklace, but it got corrupted when I put it in the pickle because some stupid idiot thought it would be a great idea to stick a penny in the pickle pot.  (A pickle pot is a heated pot, normally a crock pot, containing a slightly acidic solution that cleans a metal piece after it has been soldered by removing some of the flux and oxidation.  The first rule any one learns about using a pickle solution is to NEVER, under ANY circumstance, put something other than copper tongs and your piece in the pickle pot.  A pickle pot will strip the lay…

Jade cuff bracelet

Image
Sterling silver wire, scalloped bezel, backplate.  Green and pink jade.
This bracelet is simple, but elegant.  I cut out shapes in the backplate after soldering the bezel on.  I like how it has a secret, that only the select few know about the hidden design.  It's really cool when you hold it up to the light.
You might recognize the sun from Tangled.  It's such a beautiful stylized sun.

Steampunk Eyepatch

Image
Part of the steampunk eyepatch project.  Copper.  This is the piece that makes the eyepatch eyepatch-y, so it will go in front of the eye.

Please note that the lacy design is not my own.  I am terrible at drawing, so I found this design with a Google search.

Steampunk eyepatch

Image
This is the concept sketch for a steampunk eyepatch.  I like to hold on to my original ideas so I can see what changes I make on the final piece.

Skirts

Image
The orange skirt is made from sheer fabric we have lying around the house.  I have no idea how we came to have so much of it.  Anyhoo, I cut two half circles and sewed them together (you can see how it makes a circle skirt).  Making a circle skirt is relatively easier than making a skirt with rectangular panels because you don't have to gather at the waist or deal with sewing many panels together.  Though I do have to say, I found this to be difficult because of the length of the bottom hem (the circumference of the larger circle) and also because, according to my sister, this fabric is very prone to ripping, so I was taking care to treat it gently.


Since the fabric is sheer, I made sure to get an underskirt at Goodwill.  I took this picture after I ironed it, and let me just say that ironing it made the biggest difference.  It doesn't even look like the same skirt anymore.

 Here's a pic from Comikaze of the skirt and underskirt with the overskirt and bag.

Overskirt

Image
This started life as a long skirt from Goodwill.  It was too big for me around the waist, so I took it in by putting some darts in the back and adding a waistband.

I stuck some small tabs in the waistband so I can hang accessories (chains, ray guns, etc.).  These ones began as small strips of fabric around three or four inches long and 1 1/2 inches wide.  Fold a strip over like double fold bias tape so that there are no raw edges, starch, press, and sew down the open side.  Then, pin them to the skirt and sew over them when you add the waistband.  I pinned them in such a way that the two sides that make the loop were next to each other, but you could do it any number of ways.  Just be sure that the raw ends are tucked nicely into the waistband before you sew.  That way, the yucky ends are hidden and the tabs are secure!

I also created bustles by pleating the skirt along the side seam that already existed and sewing them down.

My grandmother has collected buttons from various projects…
Image
I got a collared shirt from Goodwill because, strangely enough, I don't have any old ones I can cut up.  I cut a boat neck, hemmed it, cut off the sleeves, and then shirred them, basically following this Threadbanger tutorial.  The important stuff starts around the 4 minute mark.